Also for the second session of the Ernst Plischke Award, lasting esthetic of architecture is the main subject of the award. Questions after a differentiated architecture which is not revealed on the first glance and retreats clearly from the international fashion movements were the subject. ‘On the human aspect in modern architecture’ (Verlag Kurt Wedl, 1969), title of a book written by Plischke, should be remembered.
Beside the principal award attibuted to the cemetery of Srebrnice (Arch. Ales Vodopivec), 11 complementary awards were given. Among others, the Bilger Breustedt-school centre from Dietmar Feichtinger Architectes, the Rolex Learning Center in Lausanne from Sanaa and the Palaces Rothschild, Schoellerbank in Vienna from Jabornegg & Palffy were awarded.
The architect and teacher Ernst A. Plischke was born in 1903 in Klosterneuburg and died in 1992 in Vienna. He was one of the most important austrian architects of the interwarperiod. For the ‘House Gamerith’” and the ‘job center Liesing’ he was awarded with the ‘Grossen Österreichischen Staatspreis für Architektur in 1935. During his emigration from 1939 to 1963 in New Zealand he built exemplary buildings there.
As a teacher at the Academy of the Fine Arts Vienna in 1963 to 1973 he marked considerably the young architect generation at that time.
The award ceremony has taken place at the Academy of Fine Arts in Vienna on the 21 of October 2011.